International American Football Officials Association
Review department: responsibilities
Updated 30th May 2016
The IAFOA Review Department (headed by the Director of Reviewing) is responsible for the following:
- Gather in videos from as many games (and potentially multiple views) as possible
- Have the videos reviewed to a standard
- Reconcile differences/disagreements between the reviewers
- Design a procedure for officials to appeal an incorrectly critical review
- Disseminate the results, both to the individual officials and (where appropriate) to a wider audience within IAFOA
- Recruit, train and reward reviewers
- Review reviews so that we achieve consistency and continually improve our reviewing process
- Encourage/instruct teams as to how to film games in such a way that the video is useful to us
- Keep good records of the reviews and reviewers
- Establish appropriate technology(ies) to implement the above in an effective and reliable way
The Department shall recommend to the Board policies relating to the above matters.
The Department shall set and implement procedures relating to the above matters.